Why waste time and energy every morning choosing what to wear? Time in the mornings is far too precious.
The preparation each morning of coordinating clothes, focusing on colors and styles takes an unbelievable amount of time and energy. The useless worry of being under-dressed, over-dressed, wearing skirts which are far too short or revealing tops. Are eliminated. When you develop your work style there is no need to worry about what you are wearing as you know it ticks all the boxes.
I wear the same type of outfit every day to work. Yes. That’s right. Over the past ten years, working in corporate Australia, I have developed an effective ‘work style’. It is stylish, sleek and blends in with the masses.
Men wear the same suits and change their shirts daily. They have a work style. Why can’t I?
Creating a work wardrobe is essential to being successful. It needs to have longevity, and comfortable for all-day meetings.
No one has ever questioned my clothing or asked why I wear the same type of clothes. I’m waiting to be asked how many shirts I own or why I don’t wear a corporate suit. I must have nailed it as I am asked year after year to workshop and guide the new graduates on creating a work style.
If you want to save time, stress and have a streamlined style, then here are some reasons to embrace wearing the same outfit every day. Once you start, you will never return to wearing your ‘weekend’ clothes to work.
No decision making in the morning
Once the hair and makeup are completed, I grab an ironed shirt, a clean vest, and tailored woolen trousers. Getting ready in the morning becomes quick and easy. I have arranged my wardrobe so that;
- One shelf has four weeks of ironed shirts, stacked in different colors, making sure that two colors are not sitting on top of each other. Each morning I select the shirt on the top of the pile
- One shelf for vests. Vests are brilliant for the office. They are warm and gives a streamlined look which is smart and corporate. They also hide a multitude of sins.
- Trousers are always in an airy wardrobe on hangers
I highly recommend selecting women’s shirts from a company who specializes in shirts for men. Yes, that’s right. They will wear and last longer, because of the quality of cotton used.
Ideally look for;
- 100% Egyptian cotton
- Select feminine, tailored shirts in a variety of colors
- Select a variety of fitted, semi-fitted and loose fitting shirts
- A mixture of collars both classic and curved
- A mix of button cuffs and French cuffs.
Many of my weekend clothes are purchased, worn a few times and then sit in the wardrobe for years. There is a great satisfaction knowing that your work clothes are not going to sit idle in a wardrobe.
Having a work wardrobe is cost-effective because;
- When the sales are in full flight, you can purchase in bulk
- When you like a style, can buy different sizes and colors
- Will get the use out of the clothes
Change the hair, makeup, and accessories
The key to having variety is focusing on changing your accessories, hair, and make-up.
- Always ensure your shoes, belts, and bags are in black, brown, grey, navy and tan. This way they will match your work style
- Match the cufflinks to the colors of the shirts
- Purchase a variety of colored vests in both cotton for summer and 100% wool for winter
- Embrace the scarf, cowl, poncho, pashmina, and shawls
Save time, money and stress by developing a streamlined work style, then embrace wearing the same outfit every day. Once you start, you will never return to wearing your ‘weekend’ clothes to work.